Finding the right coach as expat is not easy. Often we are in situations in which we do not feel well and would like to change something. But we don’t know how and what we can really change. Is it the job, the boss, the life situation, the friend or other external circumstances?
This is the point where a Life Coach could step in. In this article our partner Brigitte Goletz, Personal and Business Coach, will give you useful information about what coaching is and how to find the right coach for you.
Finding the Right Coach
Finding a good coach is not that easy: there are many coaches on the market and the quality of the coach is not immediately recognizable because there is no uniform education. Apart from the professional education of the coach, it must also fit personally.
A good relationship with the coach is one of the most important things in coaching, so every client should take the time to make a phone call to see if the coach fits him or her personally. Professional quality characteristics can be training at a recognized institute, references to already (successfully) conducted coaching’s, membership in an association as well as certification.
Usually, coaches offer free initial phone sessions. Sessions are often 60-90 minutes long, depending on the arrangement. In a coaching session, a coach guides the client in formulating goals for the concern and in achieving the goal, using tools that are helpful in achieving the goal. Often 5-6 appointments are enough for this.
When Can Coaching Be Useful?
Occasions for personal coaching can be:
- You are stuck in your structures and can’t move forward.
- You feel that your life is difficult and you wish for more lightness.
- You want to give your life a different direction, but you don’t know the way.
- Your midlife does not have to mean a midlife crisis: Where do you want to go and what do you still want to achieve?
- How do I deal with life interruptions? For example, with a separation, illness or losses?
Occasions for business coaching can be:
- Self-awareness: Where are your strengths? How can you best contribute to your job?
- Compatibility: How do you achieve a balance between professional demands and private wishes and goals?
- You feel like a victim of mobbing
- You are dissatisfied in your job and need support in changing jobs
- You would like to find a job that suits you better
- New position: You would like to strengthen your leadership skills
We are all strongly influenced by our childhood caregivers and our culture. This influence has left us with fixed patterns of behaviour and used to give us orientation and the necessary affection from our parents.
Today, they can sometimes be a hindrance and lead to undesirable thinking, feeling and behaviour. And then we do not feel comfortable in some situations.
Life coaching is a way to personal freedom and development. In a coaching session you can gain new perspectives, recognize and understand patterns and attitudes, formulate goals and start on the path to achieving them. What is still standing in your way? Start now!
Do You Have Any Further Questions?
“My first contact with coaching was when I was a coaching client myself. My wish was to free myself from old restrictive patterns. The experience of feeling freer and stronger afterwards fascinated me so much that I became intensively involved with the subject of coaching and then did the training to become a personal and business coach.” – Brigitte Goletz.
Get in Touch