Benefits of midwife care
Being in the care of a midwife gives you the opportunity to ask all your questions and get them answered by someone with a wealth of experience. Seeing her regularly means you can be better informed during this crucial stage of your life. Studies show that women who have been under the care of midwives are more likely to have a better outcome at the birth than those who haven’t.
Finding a midwife
Unfortunately Germany, like many countries, has experienced a shortage of midwives. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, Germany allowed midwives to offer online support, and this has opened up new opportunities. It means you can consult a midwife anywhere in Germany, no matter where you live, and get answers and support.
Your first step on discovering you are pregnant should be to find a midwife, and a place for the birth. Finding a midwife can be tricky, so it’s best to start looking as soon as possible.
Here are some options for finding a midwife in your area:
- Simply Google ‘Hebamme’ and the name of the area you live in
- Ask your doctor – they will be able to provide you with a ‘Hebbamennliste’: a booklet with the contact details of all the midwives in your area
- Ask your friends and colleagues for recommendations
- Have a look on Facebook: you will often find groups called ‘Hebammenvermittlung’ plus the name of your city
- International groups on Facebook can also be a useful source of information
Take a look at these sites:
Although it would be great to have all your services in one place, it’s often not possible. It’s probably better to see a midwife during your pregnancy, even if she is not one who can take care of you in the postnatal period. You can always be looking for a postnatal midwife as your pregnancy progresses.
Birth is the start of life, and everyone deserves the best start in life.
- Antenatal care: Vorsorge
- Antenatal course: Geburtzvorbereitung
- Birth centre: Geburtshaus
- Gynaecologist/OB-GYN: Frauenartzt, Frauenärztin
- Home birth: Hausgeburt
- Labour ward: Kreisssal
- Midwife: Hebamme
- Midwife with visiting rights: Beleghebamme
- Postnatal care: Nachsorge/Wochenbett
Jutta Wohlrab has been an international midwife for 38 years and a hypnotherapist for 15 years. She has dedicated her career to guiding expecting parents to a joyful, safe and happy birth. In her book “Happy Birthing Mind”, she shares all her tips and secrets about reducing pain, releasing fears and feeling calm and confident about giving birth. She is also an international speaker and teaches her methods to birth professionals all over the world.